Publications arising from the work of our MSc students during the course
As part of the MSc course, our students undertake research projects in Departmental laboratories. Thus, there is always the potential for our students to contribute to research publications. Selected extended essays (written during Hilary Term, our second taught term) may also develop into review publications.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles (MSc students marked in bold type)
- Guner, J., Jones, C., Kashir, J., Turner, K. & Coward, K. (2010). Fertile prospects for human embryology training. Society of Biology.
- Biswas Shivare, S., Lada, I., Kashir, J., Jones C., Griffiths, T., Turner, K. & Coward, K. (2011). Applications of light microscopy in clinical embryology: illuminating the way for human fertility treatment. Microscopy and Analysis, 144, 9-13.
- Kashir, J., Heynen, A., Jones, C., Durrans, C., Craig, J., Gadea, J., Turner K., Parrington, J. & Coward, K (2011). Quantitative immunofluorescent analysis indicates that cryopreservation and density gradient washing have differential effects upon levels of the oocyte activation factor, phospholipase C zeta, in human sperm. Reproductive Biomedicine Online, 23(2), 263 - 267.
Kashir, J., Jones, C., Lee, H.C., Rietdorf,K., Nikiforaki, D., Ruas, M., Tee, S.T., Heindryckx, B., Galione, A., De Sutter, P., Fissore, R.A., Parrington, J. and Coward, K. (2011). Loss of activity mutations in the oocyte activation factor, phospholipase C zeta (PLCζ) eliminate the calcium oscillatory ability of human recombinant protein in mammalian cells and oocytes. Human Reproduction, 26 (12):3372-87.
- Ajduk.A., Ilozue, T., Windsor,S., Yu, Y., Seres, K.B., Bomphrey, R.J., Tom, B.D., Swann,K., Thomas, A., Graham, C & Zernicka-Goetz, M. (2011). Rhythmic actomyosin-driven contractions induced by sperm entry predict mammalian embryo viability. Nature Communications 9,2;417.
- Collett,G.P., Goh, X.-F., Linton, E.A., Redman, C.W.G. and Sargent, I. (2012). RhoE is regulated by cyclic AMP and promotes fusion of human BeWo choriocarcinoma cells. PLoS ONE 7 (1): e30453.
Conference Abstracts (MSc students marked in bold type)
- Kashir, J., Young, C., Heytens, E., Grasa, P., Jones, C., Ruas, M., Yoon, S.Y., Fissore, R.A., Deane, C.M., Nikiforaki, D., Tee, S.T., De Sutter, P., Parrington, J. & Coward, K. (2009). Abnormal localization patterns and mutant isoforms of the oocyte activation factor, phospholipase c zeta, in spermatozoa from infertile men. International Network of Young Researchers in Male Fertility, Munster, Germany, Sept. 2009.
- Alfarawati, S., Goodall, N., Gordon, T., Guner, J., Daphnis, D., Wells, D. & Fragouli, E. (2010) Cytogenetic analysis of human blastocysts with the use of FISH, CGH and aCGH: scientific data and technical evaluation. European Society for Human Reproduction and Embryology, Rome, June/July 2010.
- Kashir, J., Young, C., Heytens, E., Grasa, P., Jones, C., Ruas, M., Yoon, S.Y., Fissore, R.A., Deane, C.M., Nikiforaki, D., Tee, S.T., De Sutter, P., Parrington, J. & Coward, K. (2010). Identification and functional characterization of a point mutation in the gene encoding the egg activation factor phospholipase C zeta in an infertile male. European Society for Human Reproduction and Embryology, Rome, June/July 2010.
Enciso, M., Huang, Z., Dragovic, R., Pieczenik, G. & Wells, D. (2011). A novel method of sperm DNA fragmentation analysis may allow selection of viable sperm. Joint Conference of the UK Fertility Societies, Dublin, Jan. 2011.
German, G., Konstantinidis, M. Jaroudi, S. & Wells, D. (2011). Development of a novel method for HLA-matching preimplantation embryos. Joint Conference of the UK Fertility Societies, Dublin, Jan. 2011.