Publications arising from the work of our MSc students during the course
As part of the MSc course, our students undertake research projects in Departmental laboratories. Thus, there is always the potential for our students to contribute to research publications. Selected extended essays (written during Hilary Term, our second taught term) may also develop into review publications.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles (MSc students marked in bold type)
- Guner, J., Jones, C., Kashir, J., Turner, K. & Coward, K. (2010). Fertile prospects for human embryology training. Society of Biology.
- Biswas Shivare, S., Lada, I., Kashir, J., Jones C., Griffiths, T., Turner, K. & Coward, K. (2011). Applications of light microscopy in clinical embryology: illuminating the way for human fertility treatment. Microscopy and Analysis, 144, 9-13.
- Kashir, J., Heynen, A., Jones, C., Durrans, C., Craig, J., Gadea, J., Turner K., Parrington, J. & Coward, K (2011). Quantitative immunofluorescent analysis indicates that cryopreservation and density gradient washing have differential effects upon levels of the oocyte activation factor, phospholipase C zeta, in human sperm. Reproductive Biomedicine Online, 23(2), 263 - 267.
Kashir, J., Jones, C., Lee, H.C., Rietdorf,K., Nikiforaki, D., Ruas, M., Tee, S.T., Heindryckx, B., Galione, A., De Sutter, P., Fissore, R.A., Parrington, J. and Coward, K. (2011). Loss of activity mutations in the oocyte activation factor, phospholipase C zeta (PLCζ) eliminate the calcium oscillatory ability of human recombinant protein in mammalian cells and oocytes. Human Reproduction, 26 (12):3372-87.
- Ajduk.A., Ilozue, T., Windsor,S., Yu, Y., Seres, K.B., Bomphrey, R.J., Tom, B.D., Swann,K., Thomas, A., Graham, C & Zernicka-Goetz, M. (2011). Rhythmic actomyosin-driven contractions induced by sperm entry predict mammalian embryo viability. Nature Communications 9,2;417.
- Collett,G.P., Goh, X.-F., Linton, E.A., Redman, C.W.G. and Sargent, I. (2012). RhoE is regulated by cyclic AMP and promotes fusion of human BeWo choriocarcinoma cells. PLoS ONE 7 (1): e30453.
- Kashir, J., Sermondade, N., Sifer, C., Oo, S.L., Jones, C., Mounce, G., Turner, G., Child, T., McVeigh, E., and Coward, K. (2012). Motile sperm organelle morphology evaluation (MSOME) selected globozoospermic sperm with an acrosomal bud exhibits novel patters and higher levels of phospholiphase C zeta (PLCz). Human Reproduction, 27(11)-3150-3160.
- Yelumalai, S., Kashir, J., Jones, C., Bagheri, H., Oo, S.L., McLaren, L. and Coward, K. (2012), Clinician-induced (iatrogenic) damage incurred during human infertility treatment: Detrimental effects of sperm-selection methods and cryopreservation upon the viability, DNA integrity, and function of human sperm. Asian Pacific Journal of Reproduction, 69-75.
- Amdani, S.N., Jones, C., and Coward, K. (2013), Phospholipase C zeta (PLCz): Oocyte activation and clinical links to male factor infertility, Adv Biol Regul. 2013; July 17: doi:pii:S2212-4926(13)00054-7.
- Gardiner, C., Ferreira ,Y.J., Dragovic, R.A., Redman, C.W., Sargent, I.L. (2013). Extracellular vesicle sizing and enumeration by nanoparticle tracking analysis. J Extracell Vesicles., 15;2. doi: 10.3402/jev.v2i0.19671.
- Ajduk, A., Biswas Shivhare, S., Zernicka-Goetz, M. (2014).The basal position of nuclei is one pre-requisite for asymmetric cell divisions in the early mouse embryo. Dev Biol. 15;392(2):133-40. doi: 10.1016/j.ydbio.2014.05.009.
- Barkalina, N., Jones, C. & Coward, K. (2014). Mesoporous silica nanoparticles: a potential targeted delivery vector for reproductive biology. Nanomedicine (Lond); 9(5):557-60.
- Barkalina, N., Jones, C., Kashir, J., Coote, S., Huang, X., Morrison, R., Townley, H. & Coward, K. (2014).Effects of mesoporous silica nanoparticles upon mammalian sperm: development of a targeted delivery platform for investigating gametogenesis and early embryogenesis. Nanomedicine; 10(4):859-70.
- Barkalina, N., Charalambous, C., Jones, C,. and Coward, K. (2014). Nanotechnology in reproductive medicine: emerging applications of nanomaterials. Nanomedicine, 10(5):921-938.
- Francis, S., Yelumalai, S., Jones, C., and Coward, K. (2014). Abberant protamination in sperm and consequential effects upon human fertility. Human Fertility; 17(2):80-9.
- Watanabe, T., Biggins, J.S., Tannan, N.B., Srinivas, S. (2014). Limited predictive value of blastomere angle of division in trophectoderm and inner cell mass specification. Development,141(11):2279-88.
Conference Abstracts (MSc students marked in bold type)
- Kashir, J., Young, C., Heytens, E., Grasa, P., Jones, C., Ruas, M., Yoon, S.Y., Fissore, R.A., Deane, C.M., Nikiforaki, D., Tee, S.T., De Sutter, P., Parrington, J. & Coward, K. (2009). Abnormal localization patterns and mutant isoforms of the oocyte activation factor, phospholipase c zeta, in spermatozoa from infertile men. International Network of Young Researchers in Male Fertility, Munster, Germany, Sept. 2009.
- Alfarawati, S., Goodall, N., Gordon, T., Guner, J., Daphnis, D., Wells, D. & Fragouli, E. (2010) Cytogenetic analysis of human blastocysts with the use of FISH, CGH and aCGH: scientific data and technical evaluation. European Society for Human Reproduction and Embryology, Rome, June/July 2010.
- Kashir, J., Young, C., Heytens, E., Grasa, P., Jones, C., Ruas, M., Yoon, S.Y., Fissore, R.A., Deane, C.M., Nikiforaki, D., Tee, S.T., De Sutter, P., Parrington, J. & Coward, K. (2010). Identification and functional characterization of a point mutation in the gene encoding the egg activation factor phospholipase C zeta in an infertile male. European Society for Human Reproduction and Embryology, Rome, June/July 2010.
Enciso, M., Huang, Z., Dragovic, R., Pieczenik, G. & Wells, D. (2011). A novel method of sperm DNA fragmentation analysis may allow selection of viable sperm. Joint Conference of the UK Fertility Societies, Dublin, Jan. 2011.
- German, G., Konstantinidis, M. Jaroudi, S. & Wells, D. (2011). Development of a novel method for HLA-matching preimplantation embryos. Joint Conference of the UK Fertility Societies, Dublin, Jan. 2011.
- Barkalina, N.; Kashir, J., Day, C., Jones, C., Townley, H., and Coward, K. (2013) Mesoporous silica nanoparticle-mediated delivery to mammalian sperm and oocytes: localisation, viability and loading studies, Fertility, Liverpool, Jan. 2013.
- Barkalina, N., Kashir, J., Jones, C., Townley, H., and Coward, K. (2013) Mesoporous silica nanoparticles as a delivery platform to mammalian gametes: development of novel research tools and techniques for the transfer of therapeutic compounds, ESHRE, London, July 2013. (Poster Presentation)
- Jones, C., Bagheri, H., Yelumalai, S., Oo, S.L., Kashir, J., and Coward, K. (2013). The potential effects of clinician-induced (iatrogenic) damage incurred during fertility treatment upon gamete competence and embryonic viability. Obstetrics and Gynaecology- Advances,- Nova-Science-Publishers.- ISBN:-978-1-62257-910-5-(eBook).